Plitvice Lakes National Park (Plitvicka Jezera) is the oldest national park in Southeast Europe and the largest national park in Croatia. The national park was founded in 1949 and is situated in central Croatia, at the border to Bosnia and Herzegovina. The protected area extends over 296.85 square kilometres (73,350 acres). About 90 percent of this area are part of Lika-Senj County, while the remaining 10 percent are part of Karlovac County.
Each year, more than 900,000 visitors are recorded.
In 1979, Plitvice Lakes National Park was added to the UNESCO World Heritage register among the first natural sites worldwide.